Wednesday, February 28, 2007

When Ice Man Couldn't Control His Power

27th Feb 2007 (Tues)

"Its hailing outside. Omg, its my first time seeing so! Freak cold now." (Shuey's sms)

I wondered that 'hailing' was and thought that hailing is a replacement word for 'raining'. I google-d the word and finally found out the meaning when there was suddenly a knock on my door.

Something that falls with the force and quantity of a shower of ice and hard snow (thefreedictionary.com, 2003)

I saw people evacuating the building and I heard the fire alarm. I followed them down. My msn was still on and my handphones, camera, etc. were left in my room. It was then I saw the ice on the floor. Wow fascinating.

I was looking for smoke as it made no sense to me that the fire alarm was triggered by the hail. But most of the residents have no idea why. Then, somebody(i've forgotten who) told me it was because the ANU security was afraid that the might be short circuit as the water leaked in to the power circuit.


There were some ice which were even bigger

Most of the trees were bald after the hail. Pity them =(


Water leaked from the roof. I'm staying in top floor but thank God my room was not affected. Imagine what would happen if the water were to drip on my laptop.


We were allowed to go back to our respective rooms at about 12 something but as curious as we teenagers are, some of us decided to put on our jackets and go kai kai (jalan-jalan). We saw this river flowing faster than ever.


One of the main library in ANU: Chiefly Library. Looks eerie, isn't it?


This is one of the most popular spot in ANU: the union court which now looks like an ice skating ring.

Zhong (China) lost one side of his slippers and Barney offered to carry him (for a while). Haha, he stepped into the deep ice and found his slipper missing when he lifted his left leg up. We spent considerably a large amount of time but were to no avail.


In the morning, the ice were still obvious although I expected them to melt by morning. The field looks even more like a skating ring compared to union court.

Thanks to the hail, ANU students were rewarded three days off as there were lots of damages in the campus. Hence, they've decided that it's best for the students to stay away while the repairs are currently being done so as not to risk students' safety. It is nice that we students have five days of break which means more time to relax and study. But Zhong warned us that the lecturers might cram in everything next week so that they are not behind schedule. Therefore, to avoid us from being left behind, he advised us to pre-read.

I expected this hail news to appear in front page of local newspapers but it instead appeared in the second page. Hm....anyway, gotta go. Wanna do some studying after doing nothing much yesterday. Thanks for reading =D


10 Comments:

Blogger Eldripheus said...

eh, which newspaper you read? I saw someone reading The Canberra Times on the bus and it was front page news... From what i read over his shoulder something about multimillion dollar clean up cost. Waaaa didn't know it was really, really, really, really, really that serious...

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 10:07:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

I read Canberra times too. but it was yesterday's paper. the one you read is today's?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 1:08:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waa, in Gippsland autumn just startd. How come u guys got snow? Anyway, the library did look creepy in the pic..I wont ever thinking of going there to study at night...=P
Danial

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 4:48:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Hi Danial..nice to see you here

Haha..snow would be fun..but those in the pictures were ice.

Haha..i rarely go to the library actually. maklumlah..orang malas kan..=p

i'm not sure whether autumn has started in Canberra.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 6:40:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Shin Sar said...

Woh Woh Woh!!!
Interesting way to spend your CNY - with ICE!! Haha..
Euh..... the library!!!!
But nice pic. I like the effect!!!
Very chun!!

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 8:27:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

haha...yeah..like a haunted mansion in animated movies..haha

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 9:05:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger ~luckystar~ said...

hehe..ya ya..v freaky looking..hvent reali seen curtin at nite yet..got la dat day attend my fren's graduation..but dat time alot of ppl n brightly lit..so doesnt look freaky..

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 10:26:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

haha..thankfully we walked in a group so it wasn't as scary as seeing is alone..moreover the fire alarm was still so audible at that time..

maybe u all should go kai kai at night..and u might wanna put on your jacket and grab your torch light first..haha

Thursday, March 1, 2007 at 10:37:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger nh said...

Hahah..I read The Australian. Wanted to message you about the ice thingy but somehow forgot..hah..must be fun to experience that for the very first time. :)

Friday, March 2, 2007 at 6:56:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

wah..very updated leh u..if it were to happen in melbourne or other places, i don't think i'll know about it unless my cousin calls and tells me about it. i very lazy to go through the papers =p

yeah, it was a fun snow-like experience. i enjoyed myself while ANU and the government have to worry about spending millions for the repairs =( ironic..

Friday, March 2, 2007 at 10:36:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home