Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's Goodbye

4th Feb 2007 (Sun)


I’ll be leaving for Canberra tomorrow at 9.35pm.

There are many entries which I want to pen but I was occupied with many errands regarding my flight. Hence, I’ve decided to make it short in this post.

I cut my hair as short as possible a few days ago that I look hairless with my cap on. Getting a haircut is expensive in Australia. I initially asked the barber to cut my head bald but she refused. “Wasted la, you look so handsome. Are you sure you wanna be bald? Better not lah. I just cut short short for you.”

Be prepared for this picture. Er, I admit that I don’t look that handsome anymore but it’s alright, I’ve always wanted to try being un-handsome for a while in this kind of hairstyle.

Tada….. My cousin got his haircut too. Haha..

Regarding my braces, my nightmare began again. I was given a set of retainers to wear for two year (so long!!!) to maintain the position of my nice teeth. I can only take the retainers out when I’m eating or brushing my teeth. Khirul& Jia Huei, do you all eat with your retainers on? It’s troublesome to take it off during meals and I can swallow the thought of losing it (especially in Australia). And it causes me to speak like a kid cause it’s as if my mouth lau fong (angin bocor). I can’t pronounce letters like ‘T’ properly. The nurse said it takes a few days to get use to it. Meanwhile, the way I speak reminds me of Nooi Hoay’s little sister, Xiao Hui =D


My flight ticket which saw my name printed wrongly. What fate! After being a ‘female’ in my CoE and now this? But it was alright; the flight agency (Sheh Travels) printed a new ticket for me soon after I told them the mistake.


Taking a taxi to Sheh Travels caused me to discover a place called Pusat Bandar Damansara, which is so busy and crowded. The buildings are systematically labeled and built but sadly, this place is not linked via train. It is only assessable by taxi, personal transport, or Rapid KL bus.

For the pass two days, I’ve had gatherings with my family and was shocked by the turn outs. My parents invited so many of my relatives. I was super happy that they took the trouble to attend this farewell dinner of mine. At least, I get to see them and say goodbye (officially) before I fly. It was also a way to have their blessings.


My first square cake =)


Believe of not, receiving Ang Pows certainly did not cross my mind at all during these farewells. I am just happy that my family members came and we had a nice dinner together before I fly. Nonetheless, it is already a custom for Chinese to give people Ang Pow to someone as a good luck wish.


My cousin, Ken Jin hugging my Tua Ee (eldest aunt)


Thanks to my sis for helping to cut the cake =) She highlighted her hair. This time, maroon colour =p

The pass few days have certainly tested my family’s endurance emotionally. The test started when the flight agency told me that the flights on 5th and 6th are full. Hence, my hope on flying off on the 5th was dented. My family was worried and found the question, “When is your son flying?” very hard to answer, due to all this uncertainties. To arrange the above farewell was also quite tedious as they didn’t know for sure when I’ll be flying.

A few days later, there came a good news. The agency somehow managed to find a place for me on the 5th. I’ll transit in Melbourne before taking a second flight to Canberra. I was told by Sze Huey that JPA scholars who are flying to Canberra will transit in Sydney instead. Hence, I’ll be flying alone but I was just too happy to get a place that I don’t mind flying alone.

However, the happiness did last long as my visa application was the next thing we worried about. I did my medical on 24th Jan but my visa hasn’t arrived when I checked on 30th. If I didn’t get it by 2nd Feb,my booking will be cancelled. My family and I were super troubled by this. Finally, on 1st February, at 1.25am, my visa arrived. My mum was so happy that she hugged my dad and cried.

During this period, I saw how genuinely caring my family members are. I am so lucky to have them as my family as they are willing to help unconditionally. In fact, I can safely say that they were even more worried than I was. Seriously, I don’t know how to repay them but to study hard, do them proud in Australia, and treat them well. During hard times, I will draw inspiration from them.

Thank you all so much! And most importantly, thank God!

Time really flies and without me realizing it, I’ll be flying in no time. I’m not sure when my next post will be as it will take a while for me to settle down. But till then, I bid goodbye to all my readers. Take care, keep in touch, and I’ll see you all again!

Thank you for reading!


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sweetest post. your family must be so proud to have you. they are doing great in bringging you up. *clap clap*
p/s:
thank God for the obstacles. if not, you might not know how much your family love and care for you.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 8:57:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger nh said...

Fly safe and enjoy the solitude..not sure if you would see this before you fly off or not though..

And your new hair style does not make you look that bad la.. :)

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 4:04:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Amanda Chan said...

I agree with Adik =) This is one nice post.

All the best in ANU and keep in touch!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 8:08:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey hey, u know what.. ur cousin's haircut kinda reminds me of chok tong.. haha.. well happy flyin!!
but i wont be saying goodbye.. hehe.. i'll just gonna say, see you again!!! in which i really do hope to meet you again somewhere in the future..

cheers!!!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 10:19:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Sean said...

have fun in aus!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 11:13:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hei, welcome to the club, i mean club dpt ang pow. Yeah, I didnt expect to get duit raya after Raya, but the money i got last week was almost 300. i mean, being an adult ( i guess i can say i am adult) i never got more than 100 for my duit raya. Only when i was a small boy that I got that kind of large sum of money.. pergh.. really, our family members are the best!! T_T

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 3:08:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hei, welcome to the club, i mean club dpt ang pow. Yeah, I didnt expect to get duit raya after Raya, but the money i got last week was almost 300. i mean, being an adult ( i guess i can say i am adult) i never got more than 100 for my duit raya. Only when i was a small boy that I got that kind of large sum of money.. pergh.. really, our family members are the best!! T_T
Enjoy your flight!! =P
-crying danial-

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 3:09:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Thank you so much!!!

Will take care of myself. You all must take care too =) Have a blessed year ahead and keep in touch.

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 3:56:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Eve Lynn said...

Yau, all the best to you in Aussie...
You have a bright future... don't waste it... Make ur friends and family PROUDER! :D
Will definitely miss you in any 'chase star' events... or makan sessions :D
See you soon.
Mwaks, take care!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:37:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Hi Christine,
Thanks..haha..never thought that it'll be nice.. =D

To Sevvy,
Hi!!! Thank you so much...chasing stars ah..haha..u, my sis, Zen they all really bersemangat lah..i'm sure u'll continue chasing them..

All the best...Come to Australia ya =D

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 4:53:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, your hair, is, not, short. and if you think it makes you "unhandsome", why cut it? you look just fine.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 11:29:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

thank li xiang..haha.to save to cost of cutting my hair in canberra =p

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 11:51:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home