Thursday, January 25, 2007

When Honesty Backfires

24th Jan 2007 (Wed)

One problem I have since I was small is being too honest at times. Today, this ‘habit’ resulted into two unwanted situations.

The first incident made me sound so dumb that I hesitated to blog about this at first. But if my sister could blog about her silly experience (exchanging currency in Midvalley), why can’t I? I went for my medical check up today in Drs. Catterall, Khoo, Raja Malek Dan Rakan-Rakan, Petaling Jaya. As what other students do, I HONESTLY filled in the form (Part A) before the appointment. I wrote that I have a chest pain averagely once every week for a few months already. (Well, the bad thing is I haven’t seen a doctor regarding this). It was like air stuck at the upper abdomen and I feel relieved each time after burping. I suspect that this is caused by indigestion.

Upon looking at my form, the male doctor went.

“Aiyoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”

It was literarily long, which reminds me of Russle Peter’s,

“Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I can’t do thirty dollars.”

And the doctor repeated that “Aiyo” when the nurse was checking my height, weight and eyesight, so many times that I lost count.”

“This doctor is so not positive-minded. Instead of looking for solutions, he keeps on aiyo-ing and aiyo-ing,” I thought to myself.

Doc: How am I going to blank-ko this you tell me?
Me: Er, well, you don’t have to blank-ko it. You can just right an explanation down there saying that it’s not serious.
Doc: (Didn’t respond to my suggestion and his eyes were glued on my form) Aiyo…………………….
Me: Speechless.
Doc: Do you have another copy of this form with you?
Me: (Assuming that he’s going to ask me to go back and print another form but praying that he’s not gonna say that) Yeah, I have it in my email.
Doc: Where to do live?
Me: Shah Alam.
Doc: Aiyo………………

Finally, he wrote a short explanation in the form saying that it was merely indigestion and some other details which indicates that it is not a heart attack/not anything serious.

Doc: You ah..Chou yan em hoh yi kam lou sat keh. Wan em tou seik ka….(“you cannot be so honest. Can’t earn a living one” in Cantonese) Next time, if you don’t know how to feel in a form, just ask the doctor. Don’t simply feel in.
Me: Oh………..

I felt so dumb dumb after that. I bet some of you are laughing at me already. I was merely stating the truth but I guess the chest pain that really needed to be stated is those suffered from heart attack, not something as minor as indigestion.

Oh, the doctor was actually quite nice. He seems like those who complains and sighs a lot but won’t take it into heart. Quite nice to talk too as well. He occasionally included some Cantonese phrases during our conversation. I assume that’s how he keeps to his roots =p

The second incident happened when my uncle called me, saying that he’s going back to Taiping by bus. I recalled that my cousin will be driving, thus, invited my uncle to join us back instead of taking the bus. Again, I took the wrong action as my cousin beih syok (not syok in Hokkein) with this uncle one. But since I’ve invited him, my cousin has no choice but to go along with this new plan.

My cousin: Ah Yau, next if you don’t know anything, don’t simply say things.
Me (monolog): What do you mean I don’t know anything? I know that you’re driving back what. And I also know that this uncle is nice to me (although he has his obvious bad side). So what’s wrong with offering him a place with us wor. One person in the bus all the way back to Taiping very boring one you know. Somemore senior citizen already.

Of course, I felt bad that I offended my cousin by inviting my uncle straight away without asking my cousin first. But I was merely trying to help. Perhaps I should practise the “I dunno” policy.

These two occurrences left me felt disappointed with myself at the end of the day and lost some appetite during dinner. It was also a day of self reflection after what had happened. People keep saying that honest people can’t survive in this world. Well, I’m honest and I’ve survived twenty years in this world. Alright, alright, perhaps I have not really stepped into the ‘real’ world yet.

The real one is where most people lie, cheat, and backstab others to achieve their goal (Cousin 2007).

Uh, it sounds so cruel. And it also made Chean Yeaw’s, “I’m a pawn in this cruel world” sounds practical. But I refuse to believe in this kind of world. I know there’re still good people out there. In fact, everyone is good. It’s just so happen that you see the bad side of them. Moreover, most of the friends I hanged out with (Ipoh Trip, Kedah Trip, Sarawak Trip, Taiping friends) are nice people and to imagine them backstabbing each other in the future is simply too uh indescribable.

To all my friends, I hope you all won’t change. Ok lah, lets be realistic. Everyone will change as time moves own. Just don’t cross the line and kuih ki oh oh hah peng (go to the dark side). I always believe that I can survive by being honest as much as I can and minimizing the lies. No doubt, lying can also be for a good purposes. If I were to lie a bit today, that two things would be avoided. Hence, in the future, if my kid asks me,

“Dad, is it bad to lie?”

“Er… read my blog” (instead of saying “YES”)

And when you look at things from a positive or perhaps a simpler point of view, the world will be a better place, as stated in Sze Huey’s blog, ‘Simplicity Is Life’. I end this entry with a forwarded message from Peifei (Nooi Hoay, I spell correctly =p )

Positive thinking is like this;

A little bird in the sky,
You look up and it shits in your eye,
You don’t mind and you don’t cry,
You just thank God that cows don’t fly.

Thank you for reading!!!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wel, u're honest but not dumb so jus b urself, haha..

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 7:01:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is us who makes this world not a place for honest people like..you?hehehe!
Danial

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 8:32:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey hey, its ok to be honest u know.. n i do agree with Ü.F.Ø.®, you're honest not dumb. its just those who can't accept honesty are dumb. so they're dumb n u're not.. haha.. i had similar experiences as you, but look at me! did i change? NO!! all i can say is: You are whom you think you are to be but not you of what others think you are supposed to be.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:27:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, u r honest but some things u hav 2 c in a serious matter. Juz like de medical, i do hav some back pain once a while but if we ourself noe wat it is and its not serious then its okay to ommit it out. Didnt u realise dat de medical is like all serious matters. Its more to de any previous doctor said it is serious. Anyway, diz is not a big matter.

De second incident is more serious, i guess de uncle is ur ah ku and de cousin is ur er cheh. Its kind of shocking when i read that u invited him without ur er cheh consent. Its kinda rude actually (dun be offended) coz she is good enough to invite u for a ride to Taiping but u chee pa chi wai go n invite other ppl. U r not de 1 driving u noe. Not so nice lor if ji ge lang ji ge bin like dat. U understand rite. Not every1 is de same. Other ppl might like belacan but u might not like.

Hopefully diz lenghthy comment will not offend u in any way. Juz an advice from some1 who care. Anyway, it is an good experience knowing that u will noe how to live in diz world in a better manner and will not repeat de same mistake again.. ^_^..

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:28:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kedekut said...

Yet another well-written post.
I guess the lesson I am learning from you Kiwi 13 bloggers is that sometimes it is better to act blur and pretend dunno anything lalala~ (ACCH 2006 xp)

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:33:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, sorry.. bad grammer.. is a good experience not an good experience..^_^..

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:42:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 1:21:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha..
we are in the same boat.
tu psl @DIK selalu kene main ngan kengkawan.
huhu..
xpe xpe.. God knows.
agree with tkj (walaupun xphm apa itu ah ku, er cheh, chee pa chi wai, ji ge lang ji ge bin).

Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 1:43:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Shin Sar said...

AH DUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLAMAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

I nearly thought the same thing as tkj.
Hey, tkj, it's not 'her'.
It's 'him' that's driving.
Know who's the 'my cousin' now?
Haha.
I don't believe that 'she' will act that way.
I've know her all my life and she's not that type of person le :P

You have to somehow lie in order to survive in this world.
Act bodoh if you can.
That's what I did sometimes :D
Don't be too keh poh la.
Hehe.

Most important, learn from mistake!!

Friday, January 26, 2007 at 5:32:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Khirul said...

hehe so funny =p
i think i went to that doctor. he was the one who injected my butt.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Amanda Chan said...

Hmm, I still think there's nothing wrong with being honest. Do what you think is right as long as no one gets hurt =)

Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 2:18:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger nh said...

Just stay honest la..that's you wat..

Monday, January 29, 2007 at 11:57:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Fuh, at last i have time to reply. Hi everyone, thanks a lot for ur comments (especially tkj's) and support.

I'll learn from this =)and stay true to myself =D

To Adik,
Ah ku = big uncle
er cheh = second sis
chee pa chi wai = bertindak sebarangan
ji ge lang ji ge bin = think it means everyone has their own characteristics

Monday, January 29, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heys... finally i made the effort to come all the way to ur new blog to read some posts!

fisrt of all u have to learn how to lie. but u should only lie for a good purpose "san yi de huang yan"(mandrin) hope u understand what i mean.

and when ur son asks u... tell him not to lie when he is young.. and tell teach him how to lie for good purposes when he starts to understand the world (when he's mature enough!) ;)

lastly! EVERYONE IN THE WORLD TELL LIES!!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 1:25:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

hi kuok hau..haha..welcome =)

san yi de huang yan. hm don't understand but from your whole comment. i can roughly guess what it means.

haha..u know what..i can seriously consider ur suggestion. haha..might use that to answer my son =)

thanks. do come and visit my blog again =)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 1:59:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey yeam! =) nice blog u got here and yea, i wish the world wasnt such a cruel and deceitful place.

but wth, not everyone is a demigod la kan?

lol, take care yeam, missing that cute smile and cheerful demeanour u always carry! =)

ciao

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 2:13:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Hi Ash..waa..so nice of u to drop by. how did u find my blog?

Haha..thanks for the compliments. now that i've taken out my braces, i'll smile even more =D

I've visited ur blog too. cool templates u got there!!! like the coconuts..haha

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 2:06:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Chean said...

Haha.. Nice post. I was laughing when i read it. But it is nice knowing there are people like you. Easier to mix with. :)
Keep blogging. Hehe. Dont procrastinate like me. Hehe. :P

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 9:24:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Hi Chean Yeaw,
Thanks a lot, that's really comforting. I'll keep on blogging =D

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 2:41:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just learn from your mistakes. Don't adopt the "i dunno" thing. It's this "i dunno" thing that caused you to make those mistakes.

Honesty is good. But, know that there's this thing called "white lie"?

By the way, if you're still having that weird feeling in your chest, i suggest you go see a doc before anything ugly happens, if it were to happen, that is. Did that "Aiyooooooooooooooooooo Doc" examine this prob of yours?

Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 8:16:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger syyeam said...

Hi Li Xiang,
White lie? what does it mean?

He didn't check cause he said that's not his responsibility wor..I mean he will do it if I go there as his private patient instead of going there just for medical check up.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 11:41:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home