Saturday, November 08, 2008

Taiping: Hear Me Out!

I came across an interesting letter in The Star.

While reading, the name Datuk Lee Chong Wei caught my attention. I was shocked for two seconds but then recalled, "Hm...he is indeed a Datuk since a couple of months back." It's just that the sports section does not address him that way which is understandable in a way. It would be awkward for sports articles to become very formal. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind being addressed as Chong Wei in that section.

But what's really interesting about this concise letter is the honesty potrayed by someone is aware of what's going on despite not being politically inclined. It is indeed encouraging to realise the perspective that this letter has to offer. It aptly sums up current local and global situation.

I seriously think we people, especially those from non-city area should learn to speak up and put in effort to keep up with the ongoing news regarding our country and beyond.

Saturday November 8, 2008

Much to learn from Obama’s win

THE triumph of Barack Obama against all odds has caused the world to erupt in cheers. Never has there been so much attention focused on the presidential election and so much hope expected of the winner.

Condoleezza Rice, the US Secretary of State, is the closest to being in charge in the Oval Office. But sadly, in the local scene, we are not really taking the cue from the historic revolution unfolding before us.

Constant bickering concerning races and rights give rise to the feeling of distrust among even the best of friends. The superficial smile we wear on our faces hides the growing tension among the people.

I cheer whenever Datuk Lee Chong Wei and Datuk Nicole Ann David fight to bring glory to the nation. I share the agony of defeat of our athletes in the world scene. But that is within the sports circle.

Politics has driven us into race extremism. We tend to care less for others but are overly sensitive when it comes to our own racial group.

I know little about politics but I know the damage it has done to our country. While we abhor racial segregation and reject discrimination, deep inside we feed on that in the name of our own narrow political ideology.

I do not speak for any particular group. To me Malaysia is a great country to live in and I am happy to be where I am. I am just not that happy.

HASNULS,
Taiping, Perak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home