Monday, April 28, 2008

How can we not respect him, right?

From thestar.com.my, 27th April 2008:-

When in trouble who do you call? Datuk Michael Chong. Having been at the helm of the MCA public services and complaints department since 1987, he has helped countless people in need and in distress. The media-savvy Chong has also highlighted many memorable stories through the press and his job has not been without risks as Ah Long cases make up a significant portion of his cases. But the time has come for him to seriously plan his retirement and find a successor.

Small in size, big in appreciation: In this file picture, little Ching Yi Quan gives Chong a packet of Pangkor’s best ikan bilis during the latter’s surprise visit recently.

Q: Why do you think it is time to go?

A: I am pushing 60 this July and I have been heading the department for 21 years. Four years ago, when I reached retirement age, my boss, the chief administration director, asked me to stay on, at least to train a successor.

I was given an understanding that I could work as long as I wanted. I did try to find a successor but honestly I couldn’t find the right one for some reason or other.

It was either the person cannot do it full-time or he has an agenda. Agenda means you want this post so you can use this to promote your career, become an MP or assemblyman ... rather than to sincerely help the people.

I tried out two. I groomed them to see whether they could adapt to the job but I realised they had different agenda. For instance, they only wanted to come when there was a press conference and after that did not follow up the case.

I wanted to retire last year but thought maybe after the election. But now I face setbacks because many of my colleagues who were helping me out are also gone. Many of them with service centres, the MCA MPs, state assemblymen and district councillors, especially in Selangor, had to close them down.

Not because they don’t want to help but because they do not have the (people's) mandate anymore. They lost in the election. You can't blame them for closing because they have to make their living.

This is a big setback for me too because we work as a team. I have fewer people to help me now.

The only consolation for me is that there are still some ministers in the Cabinet to help me. Another is the media which is still strongly behind me. Above all, although I know the people voted against us, everywhere I go people shake my hand to say sorry and some told me not to get disheartened. They say they have nothing against me or my party.

Before, 50% of the voters tell me that they vote for the party and 50% say they vote for those who give service. Service is more important than the party, some went as far as to say. But look at what has happened? My very good friend like (former PJ Utara MP) Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun who worked so hard and nearly lost her life but she lost badly. The same goes for Datuk Liew Yuen Keong, the public services and complaints bureau deputy chief and Datuk Lee Hwa Beng (who lost in Kelana Jaya).

So does the public really appreciate our work? They need to know that we can only work efficiently if we have the teamwork of our party; this is my biggest setback after 21 years.

The last general election was a very, very sad event for me. I am disappointed. I don't understand why hard working MPs who helped the people were voted out because they were seen to have failed them badly.

But I am ready to offer my job to anyone who can take over with a sincere desire to work. I will seriously train him or her to take over.

Q: You have faced threats and danger in carrying out your job to help people in trouble.

A: They are nothing. The saddest moment in my life was when my colleagues lost and had to go.

Q: What do you count as your greatest achievement?

A: I have seen a lot of less fortunate people who have been helped. People who were supposed to die are living today. That is my happiness.

A lot of children who would have died without a heart operation, I helped them and they are now well, at least 200 of them. Some have grown up and gotten married. That makes me happy.

I am also proud that I inspired the setting up of similar departments in other Barisan component parties.

Q: What's next for you after retirement?

My wife Magdelene says that the time I spent helping the people is a blessing for her and the family. She knows how close I was to having an emotional breakdown when my colleagues lost (in the elections) and when some left me. She doesn't think I should leave now and has asked me to take a holiday to relieve my stress. When I retire, I will spend more time with her and my four children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home